Baroque Palace

Located in Timsoara, Baroque Palace is also known as the Prefectures-Old Palace.
Since 1751, when the civil administration was separated from the military one, military engineers were looking for an adequate place inside the Castle for the governer-s residence. Meanwhile, the Main Square, known today as Union Square, begins to take shape. Thus, the best construction for governor-s residence was considered The Old Room House. As a result, in 1754, the building is taken by the president of the civil administration, the earl Of Vilanna and the building will be named The Presidence-s Palace.

The visitors are able to admire the works of art exhibited in the Art Department of the Banat Museum so the tourists have the opportunity to admire one of the most valuable history monuments of Timisoara, Barouque Palace.

Church of St. Catherine

Located on Pietrosu Bolyiai in Timisoara, Church of St. Catherine was build on the site of the Medieval Church , where,in the thirtheenth century, Ecaterina Maria, wife of king Charles D-Anjou was buried.

At that time, the place of worship was owned by the Franciscan monks of the Sanctissimi Salvatoris province. When the building construction began in 1723, the church was demolished and the monks settled in the center of the city, , on Bolyiai street. Between 1753-1756, they raised a new church over an ancient mill. The construction was made in Baroque style.

Nowadays, the church is open to believers belonging to national minorities, the services being heldin Romanian, Hungarian, german and Slovak. Visitors gladly stop to admire the valuable and famous Church of Saint Catherine.

Huniade Castle

Huniade Castle from Timisoara is considered to be the oldest building in town. It was built by Iancu de Hunedoara, in the mid fifteenth century (1443-1447) as a royal residence, because it was built on the old palace which belonged to king Charles Robert of Anjou, earlier in 1315.

Until the beginning of the eighteenth century (between 1552 and 1716), the castle was under Ottoman restriction and served as residence for military commanders.During the action of regaining Banat by the imperial army, the castle was damaged but subsequently built after that, serving as a warehouse and barracks for military soldiers. In 1849 the castle was again destroyed and this time the revolutionary Hungarians finished its construction in 1856. From 1947 until now, the halls of the castle are hosting the Banat Museum (departments of Archaeology, History and Natural Science).

Maria Theresia Bastion

Maria Thenesia Bastion is the only structure of the medieval fostress of Timisoara, which still can be admired today. Its construction began in 1732 and was originally known as the Repository Raveline Proviant, a room for food and supplies.

Received its actual name around the years 1744.1745, when it was given in honor of Queen Maria Theresia.

The Bastion falls into the three rings fortifications category, which occured at that time(at the beginning and mid-eighteenth century). Along with this Bastion were also built Carol, Francisc, Iosef, Hamilton, Mercy, Eugeniu, Elisabeth bastions, The Castle and also the Gates of Vienna, Petrovaradin and Transilvania. Altough it was occupied over the years by the Hungarian troops, Ottomans and the Habsburgs, the Castle of Timisoara is a milestone in the city-s history.